Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Daddy and Huntsville Heritage Cookbook's Creamed Tuna

Dear me.....I am behind.  My real job got in the way of my " I would rather be blogging" job.  I thought since I told you a little last time about my sweet Mama, I wanted to tell you about my soon-to-be 78 year old Daddy.  In one word, my Dad is a CHARACTER!!!  He was that parent who embarassed his 12 year old daughter at Disney World by yelling out in a crowd "Someone did not put their deodorant on today did they?"  Horror of Horrors!!!  Of course, the first thing I thought was "Oh goodness.  It is me!"  Or how about at my wedding when he switched the shoes of one of the groomsman to make them think the tux company had sent two left shoes.  This was after the first big hub bub that was created after the company had sent the wrong color of shoes. 

His greatest claim to fame is that Daddy wanted to be Elvis.  Since I can remember, Daddy has told stories of when he was in the Korean War and stationed in France, that people would come up to him and tell him he looked just like Elvis.  He has Elvis albums, movies, cassette tapes and 8 tracks. He saw Elvis in concert here when he performed at the Von Braun Center.  He has always been obssessed.  So one day, he got the big idea that he would dress up like Elvis for Halloween.  People made such a big deal over him that he starting performing at parties for free.  It finally got to where people actually paid him to perform.  He even performed for a General on Redstone Arsenal.  By this time, he had someone make an elaborate Elvis costume complete with a jewel encrusted cape. 

Fast forward to this past weekend.  My whole family loves football particularly the Tennessee Titans.  Husband Fred, Food Police, Son-in-Law, Daddy and I headed up to Nashville this past weekend to watch them play.  Somewhere along the line, we double dog dared Daddy to dress up like Elvis for the game.  He took the dare.  So here we go.

The fun started in the parking lot.  I can now say I helped Elvis get dressed!!


As he is walking to the stadium, people are doing double-takes, yelling out Elvis, and Daddy stays in character.


Here Elvis is approaching the stadium.  We have now stopped for what seemed like a hundred pictures.  He was enjoying it big time. 


Of course, we had to get our pictures with the cheerleaders.  Why do I feel like the Incredible Hulk?  HAHA!!


I think they had had too much to drink!  It was a wonderful day and I do believe Elvis had the time of his life.  I am trying to get him to do an Encore!!


Now on to the recipe.  I am still cooking out of the wonderful Huntsville Heritage Cookbook.  The Eeeny Meeny Miny Mo Game chose Creamed Tuna.  I thought "Oh no!  I hate tuna casseroles".  But let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious.  I will definitely prepare this one again!!


You will need a large can of tuna, flour, a can of evaporated milk, onions, celery, lemon and butter.  Notice I used Smart Balance spread per Food Police's demands.  I must say it works well.

Chop up your onion and celery.  The original recipe did not call for celery but I had some and I thought "Why not?"  Cook your veggies in the Smart Balance until they get a little color on them.

In the meantime, you open the tuna can and make a small well in the center and squeeze lemon juice into the well.  I love my lemon juicer.  It is the bomb!

I messed up here.  I always accuse Food Police of not reading directions and now I know where she gets it from.  You are supposed to take the onions off the heat but I read it as remove the onions from the pan.  Hmmmm....You blend in flour and slowly add the evaporated milk to make a roux I think it is called!


This looks gross but you add the tuna and reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes.


I served the Creamed Tuna over rice and fixed a salad to go with it.  It was absolutely delicious and somewhat healthy I do believe.

Here is your recipe...

Creamed Tuna
Huntsville Heritage Cookbook

1/2 stick margarine (I used Smart Balance)
2- 3 onions, diced (I added chopped celery)
2  6 1/2 ounce cans tuna, drained (I used one big can of tuna)
3-4 tbs lemon juice
 2 tbs flour
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup water

Melt margarine and add onion and celery, cover and cook until golden.  Leave tuna in cans after opening.  Make a small well in the center and pour 2 tbs of lemon juice in each.  Set aside.  Remove onions from heat and blend in flour.  Slowly add milk and water (or another 1/2 cup evaporated milk).  Return to medium heat and stir until thickened.  Quickly stir in tuna, cover and reduce to simmer.  Cook 3- 5 minutes.  Serve over hot rice.  Serves 4.

Now go have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment