Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What I Have Been Doing Instead of My Blog and Calling all Cooks' Yummy Carrot Salad

My goodness!!  I thought that when Food Police finally "launched", I would have so much more time in my day.  Ummmmm NO!!  Add three pets, a husband who starts a new business and works 7 days a week to my demanding job, you get less time in the day than ever.  I would sit down to write my blog and something would pull me away from the computer.  Let's start with Holland the Wonder Dog and his ACL surgery.  He was supposed to be on house arrest for three weeks.  We made it for a week and a half.  That week and a half was eventful to put it mildly.  He developed intestinal upset on more than one occasion from his antibiotic regimen .  Because this is a food blog, I am not going to go into details.  However, I will say that I have now classified this event as a "Horror of Horrors".  We literally begged the vet from our knees to let him go back outside where he honestly belongs.  He allowed Husband Fred to make an outside "Compound" for him that confined his movement. (not Husband Fred's movement but Holland the Wonder Dog's!!!)  Finally last week, he was able to come off bedrest and could roam freely in his kingdom that is the backyard.   Mercy!!  Now I remember why I am beginning to lean toward preferring the feline!!

The other waking hours have been spent at school or taking down Christmas decorations.  Oh yes!!  We are approaching April, and they are still not all down.  This has become extremely embarassing to the family name and the event may have to be classified as a "Horror of Horrors"!  I have two crepe myrtle trees that still have lights in them, and those are coming down today!!  I have reindeer and a Christmas mailbox on the carport.  Throw in one thousand extension cords that trip me everytime they can, and I have had enough.  I spent one day putting up my inside Snow Village town.  I hate those little people in March!!  They look so happy and smug with their Christmas presents, poinsettias, and their cars packed headed on a little vacation.  There is snow on the ground in their world.  They are having fun snow skiing and ice skating, and I am sweating from the most recent "internal summer" and the fact that we are having summer temperatures in March!  Finally, they are all tucked in their boxes with visions of sugar plums dancing in their little miniature people's heads. 

Finally, I must also add that I was in a period of mourning after Peyton Manning did not choose my Titans as his team.  I could barely get out of bed to go to work much less write my blog.  That is all I am going to say about that!!

Now on to the recipe.  I chose Calling all Cooks as my next cookbook!  This cookbook was written by the Alabama Chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America.  I have no idea what a telephone pioneer is!!!  Anyway, they write a great cookbook.  I was told by a friend that every new bride needs this cookbook.   I see why!  The Eeny Meeny Game chose Yummy Carrot Salad for the first recipe.  I love Chic-Fil-A's Carrot Salad but Food Police never lets me order it because she said there is a lot of mayonnaise in it.  Food Police is NO fun!!  Blah!!

It is one of those cookbooks that you can tell was done on a typewriter!!

You will need carrots, crushed pineapple, mayo, raisins and sugar!!

Grate your carrots until they look like this.  Watch your fingers!!

Add the rest of the ingredients!

Mix it all together and put in the refrigerator.

I had Friend-in-Law and Food Police over for lunch.  I copied the concept of a "Quad Salad" from one of my favorite restaurants here in town called Cyn Shea's.  I made a Chicken Salad, the Carrot Salad, a Pasta Broccoli Slaw Salad, and a Mandarin Orange salad.  It was so good.  You could do a thousand different variations of this idea. 

The Carrot Salad was delicious and tasted I believe better than Chic-Fil-A's.  Plus I made it with low-fat mayo.  If I had had Splenda, I would have subbed that for the sugar, and it would have been even more healthy!!  It would work real well for Easter Lunch too.  Yum!!

Here is the recipe....

Yummy Carrot Salad
Calling All Cooks 

4-5 large carrots, scraped and washed
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
4 T sugar
1/2 C raisins
1/3 C mayonnaise - I used Low Fat

Use fine grater and grate carrots.  Put into bowl and add the sugar, pineapple, raisins and mayonnaise;  toss well.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Bananas and apples may be added as well.


Now go have a great day......



No comments:

Post a Comment