Thursday, June 2, 2011

Finally...Summer Vacation and Paula Deen's Hawaiian Chicken Salad

I am like a kid.  It is summer vacation FINALLY!!!  I think I am most excited about working on my food blog than anything else I have planned for this summer!!  Hope you had a great Memorial Day.  It was scorching hot here in good old northern Alabama - heat indexes of 100 and more.  Combine that with the hot flashes, and I had steam coming off the top of my head.  In spite of the heat, Husband Fred and I planted 4 flats of annuals - impatiens and periwinkle, cleaned off the deck and gazebo, and counted the tomatoes on my container tomato plant.  We have 4 little green tomatoes.  That is by far the big news of the day!! 

On to the recipe....I decided I would choose another recipe from Paula Deen's cookbook - The Lady and Sons Too.  I performed the Eeny Meeny Miny Mo Game and walah (I don't know if that is how you spell that), it chose Hawaiian Chicken Salad on page 33.  So let's get started.....  Again I digress...  It may be the hormones but as I have gotten older, I think I have major ADD.  I was loading pictures from the camera and found my Easter pictures.  I have to show you my Easter Centerpiece.  I made the Peep Nests from one of my favorite blog sites - Mommy's Kitchen.  She has a lot of great ideas like this on her blog plus just good food.  I have a link to her blog on my home page.  Shout out to Mommy's Kitchen. 

I thought these were so cute!!  They tasted wonderful!!  Pretzels coated in white chocolate make the nest and then add the Peeps and jelly beans for the eggs.  I need grandchildren!
 

I loved the tulips. 


On to the recipe.....

Here are the ingredients...  Note the hydrageas in the background...Those are from my back yard.  I still have to work on the picture taking skills.  AGH!!



 I poached 4 large chicken breasts and then chopped and shredded them.  Isn't that the most beautiful picture??  HAHA!!


Add one cup of chopped celery...Paula called for two cups, but I am not the biggest fan of celery!!


Add one cup of sliced almonds!!


Add one cup of mayonnaise and mix well.  I used Light Mayo as directed by the Food Police.


Looks good so far but wait!!!


Drain and add two 11- ounce cans of mandarin oranges..


 
                                     Drain and add one 20-ounce can of pineapple tidbits...


Add one pound of seedless grapes, cut in half...Paula called for green grapes in the recipe, but I couldn't find any at Publix so I substituted.  Gently fold in all the ingredients.

Check out the finished product.  Yum!!!  Also check out the picture of Food Police and Me meeting the one and only Paula Deen at a book signing.  Notice who got to stand by Paula!!  BOO on the Food Police!!  I told Paula she was a dietician and Paula laughed and stated "I bet she likes my cooking better than those old salads!"  Oh Paula!!!


I served the Hawaiian Chicken Salad on a bed of Romaine Lettuce.  It was delicious!!!  Great for this hot hot weather!!

This recipe was a winner, and again I don't think I would have tried this if not for my little game.  I will definitely make this again.  It would be perfect for a luncheon, a brunch or like us, a dinner on a hot June night.  OK...  I have picked my next cookbook.  It is written by a wonderful lady - Christy Jordan from Northern Alabama and is called Southern Plate:  Classic Comfort Food that Makes Everyone Feel like Family.  More to come!!!!!!!!!!  Go have a great day!!


Hawaiian Chicken Salad
Paula Deen
The Lady and Sons Too Cookbook


4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (4 large chicken breasts)
2 cups diced celery
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sliced almonds
Two 11-ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained
One 20-ounce can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 pound seedless green grapes, cut in half

In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, mayonnaise, and almonds, and mix well.  Gently fold in the oranges, pineapple, and grapes.

3 comments:

  1. I think I might make this for our party next week... do you think it will go with the beverage you are bringing? Soooooo excited!!!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sister!! I cannot wait either!! Thanks for the comments. I get excited when I see one!! It means someone is actually reading my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete