Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I Am On It!! Southern Plate's Kathy's Country Casserole...

Hello All....I chose as my next cookbook - Southern Plate by Christy Jordan.  I discovered Christy in Southern Living Magazine, I guess, about a year ago.  The article mentioned her website - http://www.southernplate.com/ - and I immediately ran at breakneck speed to the computer and checked it out.  I went crazy over the site and Christy.  I ordered her cookbook which is a wonderful collection of family recipes and more.  Everything I have tried from this cookbook and her website is soooooooooo good.  I would recommend that this be your next cookbook purchase. 

She is more than just a cookbook author and website though.  She is a wonderful story-teller with roots here in Northern Alabama.  She has such a positive spin on life and is an excellent role model for showing her readers how to be grateful for all that has been provided us.  I would love to meet her. 

On to the recipe....The Eeny Meeny Miny Mo Game chose.....drumroll please.........Kathy's Country Casserole on page 202.  I don't know who Kathy is, but she did a great job on this recipe. 

Here is a picture of the cookbook.  I tried a new strategy on my photography.  Move to the counter with more light!!  Still not the best but not too bad for an amateur.

To make Food Police happy, you will notice I used 2% cheddar and fat-free milk.  It tasted great.  Speaking of Food Police, she wants me to start sending her food diaries so she can critique my eating habits!!  I love having a dietitian for a daughter!! Wink wink!!

OK...Here is another beautiful shot of 4 chicken breasts that I poached and shredded.  I know the Barefoot Contessa says she roasts her chicken for better flavor, but I didn't want to get hot with the oven on 400 degrees.
Add 2 cups of small shell pasta, cooked and drained!


Add 2 cups of mixed vegetables.  As you can see there is frost on the veggies, and as I read the recipe NOW (WHOOPS!!), I see where Christy said to cook and drain the veggies before adding.  Obviously, I did not do that which is one of my pitfalls - not reading the recipe completely but hopefully, you can learn from my mistakes - but it still tasted awesome.


Add 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.  I used 2%.  I cannot use fat-free cheese.  It just doesn't melt right!! I know Food Police is shaking her head right now! 


Add 1/2 cup of french-fried onions.  Now we are talking!!  I love those things!!


Add one 10.5 ounce can of cream of chicken soup, undiluted.


Add 1/2 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.  I took a picture of one of my favorite things.  I got this from Paula's website.  It is a little wood box that holds my salt and pepper, and I keep it right by the stove.   Love it love it love it!! 


Mix well and spoon into a 9x13 casserole dish.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  The casserole dish is another of my favorite things.  You can order this line called Temp-tations from QVC.  You would not believe all the different products they offer.  It is awesome.  It also comes in all different colors to match your kitchen. 


After you bake for 25 minutes, you top with the remaining onions and cheese and bake until the cheese melts which was about 5 minutes or so!! YUMMO!!!  The kitchen is smelling awesome right about now and of course, here comes Husband Fred.


I served it with a green salad and can I say, it was some good eating!!


Here is another view.  Look Food Police - My vegetables take up 2/3 of my plate!!!  I am learning!!  They have gotten rid of the Food Pyramid and gone to the Food Plate I am told.


I loved this recipe.  I can see where you could take it to a potluck or to a new mom who has just had a baby, or just enjoy it for an easy weeknight supper.  It is DELICIOUS.   Christy also notes in her cookbook that it freezes well too.  There you go!!

I plan to do a couple of more recipes from this cookbook.  I love it, and I am loving my game.  It is making me try new things!!  Now go have a great day!!

Here is the recipe:

Kathy's Country Casserole
Christy Jordan
Southern Plate Cookbook


2 cups small shell pasta, cooked and drained
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, cooked and drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup french-fried onions
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (you can use canned chicken)
One 10.5 ounce can of cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine everything in a large bowl, reserving half of the cheese and half of the french fried onion for topping later.

Spoon into a 9x13 casserole dish.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Top with remaining cheese and onions and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes longer.


3 comments:

  1. made a vegetarian version last night with no chicken and used cream of celery soup instead. also used whole wheat pasta! yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were my first comment. I am soooooooooo excited. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Angela! I made this tonight and it was great! Scott and Connor said to make it again for sure... Thanks for the idea!! Love you!
    Lynne

    ps... I don't know how to post a comment from me using the options that are given... am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete