Monday, July 11, 2011

Body Pump and Taste of Home's Slow Cooker Favorites' Creamy Italian Chicken

Well....Food Police is on a roll.  She is threatening diabetes if I don't get back on the exercise regimen.  I HATE TO EXERCISE!!  I LIKE TO EAT!!  I see other people just grinning and seeming to love every minute of working out.  I just don't get why they are smiling. 

I have two wonderful teacher friends - K. and L.-who exalt the wonders of exercise.  Now I must be honest - they both look great so something is working.  K. swears by Zumba.  She demonstrates the moves at school (how I wish the Principal would walk in when she is doing this - HAHA), and I think I could never do that in public!!!   L. loves yoga and the Elliptical trainer plus she is doing a Couch to 5K program.  Plus, Friend-in-Law gets up every morning at dawn and walks 3 plus miles with her sister.  And of course, Food Police practices what she preaches.  Who are these people?

Last week Food Police so graciously invited me to a class called Body Pump at the Wellness Center where she works.  Just the name brought thoughts of horror to mind.  She explained that it is a class where you use a bar and weights and do routines to hip hop type music.  I got a mental picture of me doing this and got tickled.  She chastised me, and said that there were people in there way older than me who were doing it.  I thought "Game on Sister".  So I went last week, and I was greeted at the door by several of the smiling (why do these people smile?) participants.  Every doggone one of them said "Oh you are going to be sore tomorrow.  You might want to take some Advil when you get home.  Drink plenty of water."  I about bolted right then and there. In comes the instructor and, of course, she is rippling with toned muscles and wearing a cute little workout ensemble.  And guess what, she is smiling!!  I looked down at my faded yoga pants and too big Code Blue Tennessee Titans T-shirt and sighed.  I was not smiling.  She cranks up the music, I look at the clock thinking there is no way I will get through the hour, and we are off.  We worked our biceps, triceps, quads, abs, and muscles I had not used in years.  I was hanging in there with the big dogs though.  Of course, Food Police had to correct my form.  I was not squatting properly she says.  I said that it was not lady-like to squat like that in public.  But because I was not squatting correctly, my knees were hurting.  AGH!!  So I had to squat like a hussy, and I must admit my knees did quit hurting.  Then we did the old Yoga Plank where you hold your overweight body up on your toes and elbows.  Of course, one of the class members had to show out and put a weight on his back while performing the Plank.  Good grief.  I did not clap for him like the others in the class so graciously did.  Of course, the whole HOUR we are doing all of this, everyone is smiling.  Are these people from another planet? 

After the class, I could barely walk to the car.  I didn't know if I had the strength to push down on the gas pedal but I did, drove home, and promptly took some Advil.  I was feeling good and somewhat proud of myself.  But when I woke up the next morning, I felt like I had been on one of those torture-chamber things where they tie you down and then proceed to stretch you out until you die.  It was horrible.  I made a funny noise trying to get out of the bed, and Husband Fred yelled from the kitchen "What was that noise?  Is one of the cats sick?"  No, it is just my Post-Body Pump Call of the Wild.  I am NOT smiling.  But guess what?  I am going back next week!!!

Now let's talk about something that does make me smile.....FOOD.  I am still cooking out of the Taste of Home's Slow Cooker Favorites.  The Game chose another Chicken recipe.  I wanted some real meat but oh well, I promised I would not cheat.  The recipe is Creamy Italian Chicken.  So let's get started......

You will need boneless skinless chicken breasts, Zesty Italian Dry Salad Dressing Mix, a can of Cream of Chicken Soup, a can of mushroom pieces and a big block of Cream Cheese.  I used the fat-free Cream Cheese for the Food Police, and it tasted fine!!!  Plus, I am thinking after Body Pump, I don't want to jack up my calories.  It is too much pain and suffering to work them off.

 
I must be honest.  I used the same picture from the other crock-pot recipe post.  There are only so many ways you can take a picture of four chicken breasts in a crockpot.  Notice the liner though.  Don't forget to put that on your grocery list.


HaHa!! Isn't that the most riveting picture of the dry Italian dressing mix combined with a 1/4 cup water?  I should win some sort of a Photography Award.  

Another great picture...Pour that mixture over your chicken, set your crock-pot on low, and you are good to go for 3 hours.


Then you combine the cream of chicken soup, mushrooms, and cream cheese and slather that over the chicken.  Cook on Low for another hour.  It smelled so good!!

This is a recommmendation from Food Police.  Instead of rice, I served the chicken over the Egg White Pasta.  It honestly is really really good.  I still just ate my 1 serving which is 1/2 cup of pasta Food Police.



I served the Chicken over the Egg Noodles and the purple stuff is Sauteed Cabbage from the CSA garden.  I had never had it before but it was delicious.  I also added some green beans from the old CAN.  Not too shabby.  The chicken is one of the best things I have eaten in awhile.  It had a lot of flavor from the Italian dressing and the Cream Cheese.  This is a definite keeper.  Again, if it were not for the game, I would have probably never prepared this dish.  Way to go Game!!

Here is the recipe.....
Taste of Home's Slow Cooker Favorites
Creamy Italian Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1/4 c water
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can (4 oz.) mushroom stems and pieces, drained

Place the chicken in a slow cooker.  Combine salad dressing mix and water;  pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.  In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and soup until blended.  Stir in mushrooms.  Pour over chicken.  Cook 1 hour longer or until chicken juices run clear.  Serve over rice or noodles.

Yield:  4 servings

Now go have a great day.....









No comments:

Post a Comment