Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Harry Potter and Taste of Home's Slow Cooker Favorites' Flavorful White Chili

Last week was eventful to say the least.  First, I did go back to Body Pump class!!  I was proud of myself even though I am still not "squatting" properly.  I am a work in progress. 


Second, Husband Fred who I now think I am going to call "The Loudest Cougher in the Whole Wide World" came down with some type of what the RN in me calls "The Crud".  I knew it was pretty bad when he went to bed at 6:00 pm on Friday without eating.  I checked on him periodically, and at one point, he looks at me with these glazed vacant eyes, and says "You know what.  I am going to tell you something, and you are going to think I am weird.  My body is a computer, and it is downloading all these bacteria into me!!"  My RN side said "Yes, you are weird, and I better check your temperature!"  It was 102.4  Uh Oh!!  I "downloaded him" with some Tylenol!!  He went to the doctor and is now on an antibiotic and that hallucinogenic cough medicine that makes you dream in technicolor.  But at least, the loudest coughing in the Whole Wide World has ceased. 


Third, in the midst of all the excitement generated by the Crud and Body Pump, the final movie of the Harry Potter series premiered last Thursday.  Food Police had the GRAND idea to go to the midnight showing.  I thought better of this idea because Husband Fred has to get up at 5:00 to do his radio show on WTKI-AM 1450 AM/92.9 FM.  I like to plug him when I can!!  It was no big deal for me since I am not back at school yet.  But oh no, he wanted to go.  Famous. last. words!!!  We started watching all the movies again to catch us up and decided we would watch the last movie here before heading to the theatre.  I decided I would make a Harry Potter menu.  I did some research and found that Harry ate Shepherd's Pie in the Chamber of Secrets movie while serving detention for that blond teacher whose name I cannot remember right now.  I knew that real Shepherd's Pie has peas and carrots in it, and Son-In-Law would not touch it if I made it that way.  So I made Christy Jordan's Tater Tot Casserole - http://www.southernplate.com/.  It is very similar to Shepherd's Pie but has no green or orange in it!!  Then I found the best recipe for Butterbeer Cupcakes.  You can find the recipe at http://confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/.  Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice are the beverages of choice for Harry and his friends.  I found a recipe for Butterbeer but I thought Food Police would have had a fit if I made it because it did have a lot of calories.  We substituted Diet Creme Soda instead.  The cupcakes were a hit and tasted really butterscotchy!!!   I have pictures I will show you in a minute.  WELL, after we watch the movie and eat our yummy dinner, Food Police gets hysterical that we will not find a seat.  She had bought tickets at least a month ago.  So at 8:45 pm, we head to the theatre and are in our seats at 9:00pm.  Now remember, the movie doesn't start until 12:01 am.  There was a lot going on to entertain us though.  We walked around the decorated theatre and checked out all the people in costumes.  People really went all out for this.  It was exciting!! Finally, the movie starts, and it was the best ever!!  You must go see it!!  We got in bed that night at 3:00 am.  I think that is when Husband Fred hit the proverbial wall and really succumbed to the "Crud".  It was downhill from there.  We have all recovered though, and I have a wonderful Eeny recipe for you.  Let me show you the Harry Pics first though...


Here is my table with the Gryffindor scarf as my runner.  The trophies are to represent one of the Horcruxes or the Triwizard Tournament Trophy.  You can see the Butterbeer cupcakes and the awesome last book.


Another view!!


Again my food photography is poor.  BUT the little things on top of the cupcakes are little Harry brooms.  You take a Pretzel stick and put a Laffy Taffy on the end and then cut it to make it look like the broom straws.  I also drizzled butterscotch syrup on the top.  They were good and really looked much better than the picture.


Yes I am a nerd.  I have a Harry Robe!!!  Oh my!!  It will look good with the scarf!!  Halloween here I come!


Here is Food Police and Son-in-Law.  It is about 10:00 pm at this point!!


Here is Son-In Law.  It is now about 10:45 pm.  He is with his favorite character Severus Snape.  He is having a hot flash and had to stand under the AC. 
I love him because he will always agree with me when I say "I am hot".  He says "I am hot too!"  Then we proceed to turn the AC down much to the chagrin of the cold-natured Food Police. 

Look at Food Police.  She really is a Dementor.  It is about 11:15 pm at this point!


Look at the One who Coughs Louder than Anyone in the Universe.  It is about 11:45 pm at this point!! 


I love my family.....Now on to the recipe....This is the last recipe from the Taste of Home's Slow Cooker Favorites.  I am glad I have rediscovered this cookbook.  All the food has been wonderful.  I also learned from the cookbook that to speed up cooking time on most slow cooker recipes, the general rule is that 1 hour on high equals 2 hours on low.  For this go round, The Game chose "Flavorful White Chili".  I will be brutally honest.  I wanted to cheat on The Game again.  I thought "No way Game.  I have already made 2 chicken recipes plus I don't want chili while we are under a Heat Advisory.  I want this in November watching some Alabama Crimson Tide Football - Roll Tide - or some Tennessee Titans Football if they settle the stupid strike".  Whoops!  I got off track!!  It was soooooooo good, and it comforted Husband Fred while he was fighting the Crud!!  I will make this one again and again!!

You will need chicken breasts, chicken broth, dried Northern beans, garlic, onion, a can of chopped green chillies, and assorted spices.

This is by far my WORST picture ever.  You have to place your beans in a Dutch oven and add water.  You bring them to a boil, boil for 2 minutes, and let them stand for 1 hour.  I was trying to show you how much the beans will "grow". 

Add the beans to your slow cooker.  Look there is that liner again!!  Go get you some of these right now!!


Chop 2 cups of onions and mince 3 fresh garlic.  I love the smell of garlic on my hands after mincing.  Not really...One time at school, I was taking a student's temperature, and she asked me why my hands smelled funny.  Oh dear - my face turned red!!  I now wipe my hands on stainless steel after mincing, and it gets the odor off.


Then you add your chicken broth, onion, garlic, and seasonings and cook on low for 7-8 hours. 

While the chili was cooking, I roasted 3 chicken breasts at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  Make sure you salt and pepper them really well.  This is the way the Barefoot Contessa told me to do it.  It is yummy.  More on her later!


After the chili has cooked for about 7 hours on Low, you add the roasted chicken, chiles, and salt.  Cook for one more hour.  I ended up having to add some more chicken broth at this stage.


Here is the finished product.  I added some Fat Free Sour Cream, lowfat Cheddar cheese, and a cute little Jalapeno and the best cornbread EVER.  It is not part of the game but I will give you the recipe.  We also had a salad to go with the soup and bread.  YUMMO!


Here is Possum the Rescue Cat after eating a bowl of chili and cornbread.  Just kidding!!  I just had to put this picture in!! HAHA!!


OK....Enough fun....Here is your recipe...

Taste of Home's Slow Cooker Favorites
Flavorful White Chili


1 pound of dried great northern beans
4 cups chicken broth
2  cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp ground cloves - I LEFT THIS OUT ON PURPOSE!!
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 4-oz can chopped green chilies
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked
1 tsp salt

Place beans in a Dutch oven;  add water to cover by 2 inches.  Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.  Drain, rinse, and discard liquid.  Place beans in slow cooker.  Add the broth, onions, garlic and seasonings.  Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Add the chilies, chicken and salt.  Cover and cook for one more hour.


Here is the recipe for the Cheese and Onion Cornbread.  I ordered ANOTHER cookbook from Southern Living, and I got a free gift of a pan divided into 4 mini loaves.  They are 4 1/2 in x 2 1/2 in.  They are so cute.  This recipe comes from Southern Living's Little Book of Breads and Cakes that came with my free loafpan.  I love gifts!!

1 (8 1/2 oz) package corn muffin mix - I used Jiffy.
1/3 c finely chopped onion
1/2 c shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 c butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten.

Stir together all ingredients in a bowl until just combined.  Spoon batter into the 4 lightly greased loafpan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Remove loaves from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

Now go have a great day!!



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Poss is a mess! Haha... the chili looks great. I will definitely give it a try.
    Thanks for posting!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete