Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mammograms and Cooking for a Cause Tasty Tilapia

As you probably already know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  I chose for my next cookbook one from Huntsville's Women and Children's Hospital called Cooking for a Cause.  The cookbook is a collection of recipes by breast cancer survivors, family, friends and health care providers.  It is awesome , and I plan to cook several recipes for the blog from this cookbook.

Breast cancer has been a major player in my life with my sweet Mama being diagnosed with it at the age of 50.  She battled the disease and was a 20 year survivor when she was diagnosed with another form of cancer.  She taught me how to face that type of adversity with grace and courage.  She insisted that I start getting my mammograms before I turned 50.

With that said, I began having annual mammograms at 43 years of age.  I must be honest and say that is not one of my favorite things to do in life.  You just have to laugh and go do it.  I believe this cartoon says it all:



Don't get me wrong.  It does not hurt one bit but that is how you feel while you are having one done.  HAHAHAHA!  I just thought this was too funny!!

This last time I got my mammogram, I get called back and look up at the Tech, and it is one of my EX-STUDENTS!!  Horror of Horrors!!  I am thinking "Oh no!!  This is just way too awkward!!"  Luckily, she used common sense and said that she had just wanted to tell me Hello and let me know how much she appreciated my being her teacher.  Whew!!  Crisis averted.

Thank goodness that all my mammograms have been good, and I want to encourage you to go and get yours as soon as possible if you have not done so.  Enough of that, let's talk about something that I do love and that is food.  The Eeny Meeny Miny Mo game chose "Tasty Tilapia" for this go round.  Can I say a keeper, a winner, a homerun, a touchdown??  It is awesome.  So let's get started....

Here is the cookbook.  I don't know if they still sell them at the hospital, but it is worth a shot.  All the proceeds went to the Liz Hurley Foundation.  Again, too much flash!!  AGH!!


You will need tilapia, mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, a lemon, green onions, and salt and pepper.  I forgot to put the Smart Balance butter in the picture!!  Whoops!


I like the frozen tilapia in the bag from Publix.  The filets come individually sealed in a little pack.  Very nice.


You combine the cheese, butter, mayo, green onions, and salt in a bowl. 


Cover the fish with the mixture after brushing the filets with lemon juice.  You then bake it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 


Here you go.  I served it with rice and fresh broccoli.  DELICIOUS!!

Here is your recipe:

Tasty Tilapia
Cooking for a Good Cause
Carrie Nelson - Breast Center Mammographer

2 lbs tilapia
2 T lemon juice
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c melted butter - I used Smart Balance spread
3 T mayonnaise
3 T chopped green onion
1/4 tsp salt

Coat baking dish with non-stick spray.  Place filets in dish and brush with lemon juice.  Combine parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise, green onion, and salt.  Cover filets with mixture.  Bake at 350 degress for 30 minutes.

Now go have a great day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment