Sunday, November 6, 2011

Older Folks and Cooking for a Cause Shrimp Linguine

When I was a teenager, I thought that anyone over the age of 30 was an "older" person.  Now that I am way over 30 almost times 2, I have a different perspective.  But as I have gone through the decades, I have come up with a list of commandments that I will follow when I, God willing, join the ranks of those "older folks".  A recent trip to the grocery store reminded me of those guidelines.  Here is the list so far:

1.  I shalt not go the grocery store on "Senior Day Wednesday".  It is way too crowded.
2.  I shalt not drive my scooter down the middle of the aisle where no one can pass me on the left, or as a matter of fact, on the right.
3.  I shalt not back up my scooter so that it makes that horrible beeping noise that puts everyone on edge.
4.  I shalt not stop my buggy in the middle of the aisle and stay there for what seems like 10 minutes looking for that sale item.
5.  I shalt not pay for my groceries with a check but with my debit card to speed things along.
6.  I shalt not tell the bag boy or girl how to bag my groceries.
7.  I shalt not hold up the check-out line perusing my receipt to make sure I got my Senior Discount.

Postscript.....Husband Fred just this minute got back from the grocery store to pick up one item for our sick kitty.  He wanted me to add one more commandment after his adventure.

8.  When only one check-out lane is open, I shalt not write a check for cash over my purchase, and then count my cash in front of the long line that is waiting behind me.  Then I shalt not decide that I want change for the cash that I just received only to count it all again in front of the even longer line.

Another thing that happened to make me think of older folks this week is that I have started my geriatric unit in one of my classes.  The first rule that I give the students is that, from this point on, they will not refer to the older folk as that "old woman" or that "old man".  They say "Yes Ma'am", and we move on.  I set up an "Effects of Aging" lab where the students go through 10 different stations to get to experience the effects of aging.  They experience everything from arthritis to cataracts.  Then they get to play "Geriatric Bingo" where they have to come up with a "geriatric name" for themselves.  The names they choose like Albert and Ethel crack me up.  I think I make a point with them because they will tell me things like "I think I am going to be more patient with old - whoops older - people from now on!"  Mission accomplished!!!  Hmmm...Maybe I should follow the students' lead.

Now on to the recipe.  I am still cooking out of the Cooking for a Cause cookbook.  I am liking the recipes that the Eeny Game has been choosing lately.  I have had no urges to cheat.  HAHA!!  The Game chose Shrimp Linguine.  It is absolutely the best ever.  This would make for a wonderful dinner for company or a special occasion.  YUM!!



You will need shrimp, linguine, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, green onions, parsley, lemon, garlic, Zesty Italian dressing and cayenne pepper.  You can't go wrong with that list of ingredients.


Look at the rainbow of goodness.  You julienne the carrots and the squash, and chop the green onions and garlic.  Food Police is smiling right now.

You heat the salad dressing in a large skillet and then add your vegetables plus the cayenne pepper and salt to taste.  It is smelling wonderful at this point.


While that is cooking, you chop up parsley and juice your lemon.


You then add your shrimp, parsley, and lemon juice, and cook for 10 more minutes.  I used frozen already cooked shrimp so I added it the last 3 or 4 minutes.  It worked very well.


You cook the linguine and then mix the wonderful stuff all together and this is what you get.  I added a little fresh parsley to the top, and we were good to go.

Here is your recipe....Sonja said this recipe got her a marriage proposal.  I can see why.

Shrimp Linguine
Cooking for a Cause
Sonja Langham, Nurse Anesthetist

16 oz pkg linguine pasta
1 C Zesty Italian dressing
2 med yellow squash, julienned
2 med zucchini, julienned
2 carrots, julienned
3 green onions, cut into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
Dash of cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice
1 1/4 c parsley, chopped
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined

Prepare linguine per directions; drain well.  Heat salad dressing in a large skillet.  Add squash, zucchini, carrots, green onion, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt.  Mix will.  Saute for 10 minutes.  Add lemon juice, parsley and shrimp.  Cook for 10 minutes.  Combine linguine and shrimp mixture in a large bowl and toss.  Serve immediately.

Yield:  6 servings

Now go enjoy the day.....





No comments:

Post a Comment