Sunday, November 13, 2011

An Ode to Lucy and Cooking for A Cause Smoked Sausage Casserole

Lucy...Lucille...Lubird...Birdie...Lucifer...LucyBird...Berber Carpet (Don't Ask!)  Those were a few of the names that we gave our first ever cat.  We are those people that go cuckoo over animals.  We have 3 Rescue animals now - 2 cats and a dog.  I have always been prejudiced toward dogs until Food Police was in middle school, and her best friend's cat was pregnant.  We were summoned one Saturday morning to watch her deliver her kittens.  Of course Food Police was begging for one of the kitties.  I thought I was so smart and answered the constant nagging with "If she has a calico kitten, you can have one!"  I thought calicos were as rare as albino tigers, but lo and behold, the third one out was a calico.  She was claimed, and her given name was Lucy.  We took her home at 6 weeks, and it became Food Police's mission to make her "FEISTY"!  Oh believe me, Food Police succeeded!!  That cat would bite, scratch, climb the walls, tear up the horrible grasscloth wallpaper (I was secretly happy about that!), shredded toilet paper, and clawed the furniture.  One time, she actually stood up on her hind legs and walked across the den at my poor mother hissing all the way.  It was out of a horror movie. 

But you know what, I loved that darn cat with all my heart.   She was the ultimate SnuggleBunny.  Anytime, I would lie down on the couch, she would appear, and get in the crook of my arm.  She took turns sleeping with Food Police and me.  Son-in-law was so taken with her that he bought her a leash and collar so he could take her outside.  She had her own Christmas stocking and sweater.  She would even go on car rides with us.  She was what we called the "WatchCat"!  She knew immediately when someone would pull up in the driveway and would come and alert us.  She was always waiting at the door when I came home. 

She lived a good 16 years, and this past week, we had to make that horrible decision to put her to sleep.  She was in kidney failure and was miserable.   I know we did the right thing.  There will never be another one like her!!!  She is sorely missed!

In my Snow Village....we called her Godzilla!!  The little miniature people were always afraid of when she would appear!

Here is Son-in-Law with Lucy on her leash.  You thought I was kidding!

Her favorite spot in the whole world. 


She loved getting into tight places.  She loved that Tupperware bowl!!

Now on to the recipe.  I am still cooking out of the cookbook Cooking for A Cause.  The Eeny Game chose Smoked Sausage Casserole, and believe you me, I would have never picked this one. I am glad the game did though.  This experiement is working.  It was one of the best dishes I have had in a while.  It is one of those comfort dishes that you can pull out after a hard day at work or a cold winter night.  It was quick and easy, and I served it with a salad.  Perfect!!


You will need Smoked Sausage (I used Turkey Food Police), potatoes, an onion, tomatoes, butter, Dijon mustard and whipping cream.

Cube 4 medium potatoes, and cook until tender.

Chop up a medium onion and saute in the butter (I used Smart Balance) until tender.

Cut the Smoked Sausage into 1/4 inch slices.

Add the smoked sausage to the onions, and brown the sausage.

While that is cooking chop up 2 medium tomatoes.

Mix together 1/2 cup of whipping cream, a tablespoon of dijon mustard and 1/2 tsp of salt and add to the sausage and onion.  Bring to a boil and then add the cooked potatoes and the tomatoes.

Serve it up, add some parsley, and you are good to go.  It is FANTASTIC!!

Here is the recipe....

Smoked Sausage Casserole
Cooking for A Cause
Elisha Dawn Davis

4 med potatoes, cubed
1 large onion, diced
2 T butter
1 lb. smoked sausage
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c whipping cream
2 med tomatoes, chopped
1 T Dijon mustard
Parsley to garnish

Cook potatoes in salted water, drain.  Brown onion in a large pan in butter until soft.  Add sausage (cut into 1/4 inch slices).  Cook stirring often until lightly browned.  Mix in mustard, salt, and cream.  Bring to a boil.  Lightly mix potatoes and tomatoes.  Add to rest of ingredients.  Cover and cook over medium heat until potatoes are heated through usually 3-5 minutes.  Sprinkle with parsley. 
Serves 4.

Now go have a great day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment