Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Christmas Lights and Gooseberry Patch's Homemade Christmas Baked Brown Sugar Oatmeal

Goodness!!! It has been awhile since I posted.  Between school and the Christmas lights, I am barely keeping my head above water.  But that is OK because the Christmas lights are - more or less - up and running. 

When we moved to our present house about 25 years ago, Little Food Police was 4 years old.  We had one little pine tree in our front yard which we decided to decorate with lights that first Christmas.  That is when the addiction began.  We began adding one thing a year to the display until now it has taken over our lives beginning around the end of October.  Husband Fred, who should have been an engineer, has had to divide the yard into electrical sectors so that we don't blow a fuse when the lights are on.  One year before he calculated the voltage load, whatever that is, I could not wash or dry clothes at night because the fuse would blow.  It was nuts!! 

Husband Fred and I have gotten into many an argument over these lights. We have specific roles for the putting up of the lights.  My assignment is to string all the trees with white lights and do the bushes in green.  It is very tedious because I try to follow each individual limb of the tree with lights.  AGH!!  He gets on the roof and does the icicle lights and the Santa going down the chimney.  He also sets up all the structures in the yard plus builds a very tall tree around the giant sycamore tree.  He then is responsible for laying out the thousands of extension cords.  All of this stuff is stored in the attic so he has to climb up in the attic and laboriously lower each piece to me - "The Impatient One" - at the bottom of the steps.  I say that he moves at the speed of Turtle.  Just to tell you, one year we did an Open House, the guests were arriving, and he was still out in the yard putting up lights.  He didn't even have time to take a shower.  I know the neighbors sit out on their front porches and listen to the steady stream of dialogue that happens when we are out putting up the lights.  It is great entertainment I am sure!!

The best thing about the lights, though, is to sit in the living room with all the lights off in the house and watch the steady stream of cars go by.  We have a system where we grade the activity.  There are the drive-bys which have already seen the lights and probably live on the street.  We have the slow-downs who are going about 2-5 mph, and then the much appreciated stoppers who take pictures and sometimes even back up to get another look.  We have even had people stop, get out of their cars, and take pictures by some of the structures.  Oh the joy of it all!!

This year has been no different.  He still has to finish some of the lights tonight,  and it is December 10th!!!  We were late getting our 5-Foot Santa positioned and dancing at the front door because Husband Fred needed to do shoulder surgery on him.  He has danced so much over the years that he threw his arm out of joint.  After the surgery, he also shrank about a foot so now he is Dancing 4-Foot Santa.  Grrrr.......But what is so cool is that we are dedicating the lights to Valor Flight which is a community service project that flies Korean War veterans to Washington, DC to visit the Korean War Memorial.  We invite you to drive by, enjoy the lights, and then make a donation at www.valorflight.com.  It is a wonderful project.  Husband Fred was lucky enough to be chosen to fly with the first Valor Flight, and it is something he will never forget.



This is a picture of the house at 1108 Woodmont Avenue in Huntsville, AL taken in 2009.  It looks alot different this year.  We have added a digital clock that counts down to Christmas in days, hours, minutes, and seconds.  The kids love it!!

I love the lights.....I love the lights....I love the lights.....Now on to something else I love, and that is cooking.  I chose as my next cookbook - Homemade Christmas - by Gooseberry Patch.  If you have never tried a Gooseberry Patch cookbook, they are awesome.  I think I have 10 or so of them so I will be sharing more recipes from the various ones.   The Eeny Game chose Baked Brown Sugar Oatmeal.  I was excited because I love breakfast and brunch foods. 

Here you go!!  A much better picture I must say!!

You will need quick-cooking oatmeal, white and brown sugar, milk ( I used Almond Milk), eggs, salt, oil, and baking powder.

Whisk together oil, eggs, and sugars.

Mix the oats, baking powder and salt and add to the oil mixture.  Add the milk and stir it all together.

Put the mixture into a greased 1-1/2 quart baking dish.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

It comes out looking like this.  So beautiful!!!!

I spooned it up and added raisins to it.  You could add whatever topping you like.  It is awesome!


I must say this was easy and delicious.  It tastes just like a warm oatmeal cookie.  So so good!!  I plan to serve it at my Christmas Eve Brunch which I will write about later in the month.  I will give you my menu which has stood the test of time.  Now here is your recipe---


Baked Brown Sugar Oatmeal
Gooseberry Patch's Homemade Christmas


1/2 c oil - Food Police says use applesauce instead!
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c sugar
3 c quick cooking oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk
Optional:  Toppings like nuts, raisins, etc..

Whisk together oil, eggs and sugars; set aside.  In a separate bowl, combine oats, baking powder and salt.  Add to oil mixture.  Add milk and stir well.  Pour into a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is golden.  Serve warm, either plain or with toppings.  Serves 6.

Now go have a great day, and come see the Christmas Lights!!




No comments:

Post a Comment