Sunday, September 16, 2012

Food Police's Birthday and Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible's Grilled Red Pepper Scallops

Twenty-nine years ago today in 1983 (Oh my) at 7:48 am, a little baby Food Police  - 7 pounds 9 1/2 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long - was born in Birmingham, Alabama.  My how time does fly!!  I finally understand what that means!!  It really just seems like yesterday.  I thought about all the things I could write about Food Police.  I decided I would take a look at her Baby Book to help me recall some of the moments early on in Food Police's life. 

Husband Fred and I were living in Little Rock, Arkansas at the time, and on January 25 at 5:00 am, I did a home pregnancy test, and of course, it was positive!  To make things really exciting for a morning-sick pregnant lady, we packed up and moved to Birmingham in February.  I was so glad to be closer to home.  I went into labor around 11 pm on September 15th, 1983.  Believe it or not, I was reading a cookbook and writing down recipes.  The recipe was a caramel cake!!  I immediately jumped up, and we straightened the house (the good old nesting instinct) and headed to Brookwood Medical Center.  Husband Fred ran two red lights on the way!!  Oh my!!  I ended up having a C-section because the cord was wrapped around her neck.  Scary times, but all was well.  We each wrote something to her in her baby book reflecting on her birth.  I wrote  "I remember hearing your loud cry and hearing the doctor announce 'It's a girl!'  I then remember your daddy saying 'She has two legs!'  They brought you to me, and you actually looked at me for a split second."  Husband Fred wrote that "the nurses asked if I wanted to carry you to get weighed and foot printed.  That's when I got to hold you for the first time.  What a moment!"

This is a picture of Food Police and my sweet Mama.  This is a page of her baby book.  I saved all the bracelets and the little card that was on her bassinette.
 
I looked at some of her firsts that I had written about in the Baby Book.  She sat without support at 6 months, pulled herself up at 7 months, walked on July 5, 1984 at 9 1/2 months and said her first word - Bubba - at 8 months.  Bubba was our dachshund that she absolutely loved.  Her first sentence was "You not Mommy - You Mommy!"  which she said at 18 months.  I have no clue what that meant.  Her favorite toy was a stuffed dog that she called "Big Bubba!"  Her favorite book was "The Cow says Moo!"  She counted to ten in December of 1985.   She saw snow for the first time on January 20, 1985.  I even looked back over her birthday parties.  I wrote about them in detail in the baby book.  Her first birthday was with family at my Bigmama's house.  Everything was in pink.  She cried when we sang Happy Birthday.  Her second birthday was in Birmingham and had a Care Bear theme.  I even made the 3-D Care Bear cake and about had a nervous breakdown.  I had taken up smocking and had smocked the little pink rosebud dress she wore.  The third birthday was focused outside and had a Crayon theme.  The fourth birthday was interesting.  We had just moved back to Huntsville and had it at my Bigmama's house again.  I had hired a clown who had to be the worst clown in the world.  She did these cheesy tricks like putting quarters on her elbow and trying to flip them and catch them.  She kept missing them over and over and over again.  My Dad said he could smell alcohol on her breath.  That is all I am saying about that.  The fifth birthday was at what was then called Showbiz Pizza Place but is now called Chuckie Cheese.  I got a migraine.  The sixth birthday was at home, and it had a Fairy Princess theme.  I even made a castle cake, and she got a Power Wheel's Jeep.  She would not let anyone else drive it which caused a scene.  The seventh party was at the old Ice Palace on Governor's Drive, and she received I think the best present ever.  Old Bubba had passed away that year, and she got her Golden Retriever Puppy Ginger - the best dog in the whole wide world.  For her birthday today, Food Police wanted my Chicken Tortilla Soup and a salad.  She wants to watch the Titans game, and then go get frozen yogurt.  And that is what we shall do!!  I think I will stop now.  I can't see through the tears.  I will say, however, that Food Police has grown up to be a young woman that I am very very proud of.  She has empathy for others and a heart the size of Texas.  She works hard and is self-motivated like no other.  She loves her church, her family, and her home.  I love you Food Police.
 
Now on to the recipe......This is the last recipe that I will be preparing out of Paula's Southern Cooking Bible.  I will miss you Paula.   I must say it again!  This is the best cookbook ever.  The game chose Grilled Red Pepper Scallops, and all I can say is YUMMY!!!  Oh my goodness it is good!! 
 
Get some good sea scallops.  This is a shout-out to Doug's Seafood in St. George Island, Florida - the best place in the world.  He has a food truck and every day we go visit him and buy the best seafood in the world.  I love Doug!
 
You don't need much - just scallops, a lemon, 2 red bell peppers, olive oil, salt and pepper.
 
First, you have to roast the bell peppers.  I had never done this before, but it is so easy.  You halve the peppers,  place them skin side up and broil on high until the skin is charred about 6-10 minutes.  They come out looking like this.
 
Thread the scallops and peppers on skewers and cook under the broiler for about 3 minutes per side.  Excuse the old pizza pan!! 
 
I served it with a baked potato and broccoli!!  So so good!
 
 
Here is the recipe.  Hers is for 6 people but I cut it down for Husband Fred and me!!
 
 
Grilled Red Pepper Scallops
Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible
 
1 1/2 pounds large sea scallops
2 Tbs olive oil
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Black pepper
4 large red bell peppers
 
In a medium bowl, combine the scallops, oil, lemon zest, and black pepper to taste.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the bell peppers.
 
Preheat the broiler to high heat.  Halve the bell peppers lengthwise and remove the stems, seeds, and rib.  Place the bell peppers skin side up on a baking sheet and broil without turning for 6 to minutes until the skin is charred.  Place the peppers in a paper bag, close the top tight, and let the peppers steam for 10 minutes.  Remove the charred skins and cut the bell peppers lengthwise in 3/4 - inch strips.
 
Wrap a bell pepper strip around each scallop to cover completely, overlapping the pepper ends.  Secure the strips by running a 10-inch skewer through the scallop and bell pepper.  Divide the scallops among 6 skewers.
 
Cook under the broiler for about 3 minutes per side and serve.
 
Now go have a great day......
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment