Saturday, September 1, 2012

Neil Armstrong and Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible's Pecan Crusted Chicken Breasts

When I saw the news alert about Neil Armstrong's death, I immediately remembered where I was on that July 20, 1969 when he became the first man to walk on the moon.  I was eleven years old and spending a day on the lake with my Great-aunt Roxie.  (I will definitely have to write later about her.  She was a true pioneer in every sense of the word.)  I remember crying because we had to leave the lake early to go watch the moon landing on TV(and I am sure I thought the stupid moon landing - I was only 11 y'all).  But I am so thankful that we did.  I remember sitting down together as a family around the television and being so proud of what we were seeing that day. I love the statement that Neil Armstrong's family made after he passed away -"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.” I will certainly do that! 
Here is an entry I wrote in my diary about that day.  I don't know why it says July 29th.   I probably wrote about it after the fact and just guessed at the date.  Who knows???  I was eleven!!

I imagine being born in Huntsville, AL - the Rocket City- has made me more aware of NASA, the Marshall Space Flight Center, Dr. Von Braun, the Space and Rocket Center, and all the things associated with the space program.  I remember my Nana taking me to Redstone Arsenal for an open house where they were testing the rocket engines.  I still remember how loud and how scared I was when that engine fired.  I remember Challenger sitting on the back of a Boeing airplane in the late 70's or early 80's and how we all stood outside together to watch it fly over and take pictures.  It makes sense that our schools are named for astronauts and shuttles - Grissom, Chaffee, Ed White, Challenger, Discovery.  For the most part, I watched every Shuttle flight including the Challenger disaster in January of 1986.  I was so sad that day.  I remember exactly where I was that day too.

I am excited about the Mars rover that has been sending back some awesome pictures here lately.  I hope we see a resurgence in our Space Program.  It just shows how innovative, intelligent, and courageous we are!! I believe the Space Program brings us together as a country.  It gives us something positive to root for!!  We need that now more than ever.

Now, on to something else that brings us together.  FOOD!!  I am still cooking out of Paula Deen's Southern Living Cooking Bible.  I am addicted to this cookbook.  I am going to prepare one or two more from it, and then move on to the Pioneer Woman who is fast becoming a new favorite.  Don't tell Paula please!!  The Game selected Pecan Crusted Chicken Breasts this time.  Hmmmmm......Paula calls it her version of chicken nuggets.  Let me tell you they were a home run.  I will prepare these bad boys again!!

You will need chicken breasts, mayo, panko, pecans, salt and pepper.  That is it.
 
Sprinkle each breast with a little salt and pepper.  Then coat each breast with a teaspoon of mayo.
 
Dredge each breast in the chopped pecans and panko.  Place in a dish and bake for 30 - 40 minutes at 350 until brown.
 
When you are done, it will look like this.  I know I will get in trouble for the mac and cheese on the plate, but it was actually Lean Cuisine's low fat mac!!  Ha Food Police.
 
 
Here is your recipe......
 
Pecan-Crusted Chicken Breasts
Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible
 
 
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 tsp salt (I didn't use this much salt)
1/2 tsp pepper
4 tsp mayonnaise ( I used light)
3/4 c pecans, crushed ( Mine were chopped)
3/4 c panko bread crumbs
 
Place an oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray a baking dish.
 
Sprinkle the chicken with 1 tsp of the salt and pepper. Coat each breast with 1 tsp of mayonnaise.  In a shallow dish, toss the pecans and bread crumbs together.  Dredge the chicken in the bread crumb mixture, pressing firmly to make sure it sticks well to the chicken.  Season with the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and place in the dish.  Bake until the crust is nicely browned and the chicken is cooked through, 30 - 40 minutes.
 
Now go have a great day.....

 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment