Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Older Generation and The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from my Frontier's Herb-Roasted Pork Tenderloin

I love the older generation.  We can learn so so much from them.  I know that when I was working as a nurse, my favorite patients were the older ones.  Now I work with teenagers.  Hmmm, but I digress.   I have recently entered a new phase in my life which involves the older generation.   My father, who is approaching 80, has started showing some signs that he needs extra help around the house.  I have written about him in two separate posts - the one where he dressed as Elvis for a Titans game and the one  where he took me on Mr. Toad's (Tom's) Wild Ride.  He is definitely one of a kind that is for sure.  That got me to thinking about older people and how truly special they are.

Over the last six months or so, I have witnessed two "older generation" moments.  One day I was walking out of an office building, and I saw the sweetest scene involving what looked like a husband and wife well into their 80's.  She was stooped over the water fountain holding tightly onto her walker.   He was standing as close as he could to her holding her arm with one hand and pushing the lever to release the water for her with his other hand.  He was quietly saying something to her.  I took a mental picture and wondered what all they had experienced during their long life together.  I am sure it was most definitely a life filled with devotion and love. 

About a month ago, I was driving down my street into the neighborhood.  I witnessed an older lady probably in her late 70's taking a stroll down the sidewalk.  She was walking with purpose but then suddenly came to an abrupt halt.  She began to bend over, and the nurse in me thought "Oh no!!  Something is wrong.  She is about to faint!"  I stopped the car to see if she needed help.  No!!  She was bending over to smell a flower on a fence post.  She literally "stopped and smelled the roses!"  She then stood up and had the sweetest smile on her face.  I literally got tears in my eyes.  She reminded me of my sweet grandmother - Nana - who always had time to stop and smell the roses. 

Oh goodness.  On to the recipe....  I am now cooking out of a new cookbook.  I decided to cheat on Paula and move to my next queen bee in the kitchen - Ree Drummond or the Pioneer Woman.  I love her show on Food Network.  I am in love with her youngest son Todd who has to be the cutest thing I have ever seen.  Besides being cute, he is the sweetest little thing too.  He is always telling Mom that her food is the best he has ever eaten.   The Eeny Game chose Herb Roasted Pork Tenderloin, and I can say that is probably the best tenderloin I have put in my mouth.

I love this cookbook period.
 
You will need a pork tenderloin, salt, pepper, herbes de Provence, red wine vinegar, and peach preserves.  Weird I know.
 
Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper, and then cover it with the herbes de Provence and place in a 425 degree oven.  She called for 15 minutes but I cooked it for 30 minutes.  I cannot stand too pink meat.  I worry about trichinosis.
 
She called for it to be served over a cornmeal cake.  I did not make those but I did have some leftover corn muffins.  I placed the piece of pork on that and drizzled with the topping made of vinegar and the preserves.  YUMMY!!  You must make this!!
 
 
 
Here is your recipe......
 
Herb-roasted Pork Tenderloin
The Pioneer Woman Cooks:  Food from my Frontier
 
 
2 Pork Tenderloins, 1 to 1 1/2 pounds each
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 C herbes de Provence ( I used 1/4 C)
1 C fig, peach, or plum preserves (I used peach)
1 tbs vinegar (I used red wine)
 
Lay the pork tenderloins on a sheet pan and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle on the herbes de Provence, then roast in a 425 oven for 13 to 15 minutes (I cooked it for 30 minutes).  Allow the pork to rest for ten minutes, then slice it into thick pieces.  Meanwhile, stir together the preserves, the vinegar, and 1 cup of water.  Heat over medium heat until thoroughly warmed.  Spoon the preserve mixture over the slices of pork.
 
Now go have a great day......
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment